Regional Cuisines: Can Tho - Part 1
Join Lingo Connector as we introduce you to the cuisines and special dishes of Can Tho city. Here are 25 famous Can Tho specialties with buying addresses & reference prices.
Can Tho specialties be a blend of the rich flavor of the West of the river and the sophistication and rusticity of the grasslands, if so what are the regional specialties of Can Tho? What to eat and buy when traveling in Can Tho? Here are the top suggestions for you with detailed references and prices!
1. Grilled Spring Rolls with Cai Rang
Grilled spring rolls in Cai Rang are a specialty dish of Can Tho. It is the way of making grilled spring rolls that makes this dish a specialty, different from other types of spring rolls: fresh pork is marinated with spices and then ground or minced, smoothed and then rounded, and skewered on bamboo sticks. small and grilled over embers; served with rice paper, add vermicelli, herbs, acrid bananas, star fruit, and pickles and dipped with chili garlic fish sauce.
Image 1. Crunchy, oily and goes great with rice paper rolled with meat, greens and sauce
• Hai Van grilled spring rolls: 98 De Tham, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho
• Anh Map grilled spring rolls: Nguyen Trai, Le Binh, Cai Rang, Can Tho city
• Spring rolls 91: 91 De Tham, Tan An, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho
• Cai Rang Grilled Spring Rolls: Area 3, Extended Ba Thang Hai Street, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho City.
Reference price: 40,000 - 100,000 VND
2. Can Tho specialty - Cong cake
The specialty of Ninh Kieu wharf that visitors cannot ignore is the cake. Golden cult cake, crispy, delicious, and greasy with full filling, and green beans; The meat is seasoned to perfection, and crispy golden shrimp on top. The specialty of Cong cake is often served with raw vegetables, or added vermicelli, dipping sauces to taste, making people enjoy it.
Image 2. A serving of Banh Cong, almost similar to a cupcake but with a shrimp inside the cake
• Co Ut cake shop: 86/38 Ly Tu Trong, An Cu ward, Ninh Kieu district, Can Tho.
• Ba Ut Lu cake tribute: 18 Tran Van Hoai, Ninh Kieu District, City. Can Tho
• Cong Cake Shop 292: 292, 30/04 Street, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho City.
• Tran Phu cake: 134/1A Tran Phu, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho
Reference price: 10,000 - 35,000 VND
3. Duck hot pot with chao (fermented tofu)
Duck hot pot cooked with chao is a very popular dish in Can Tho. Siamese duck meat marinated with chao and other spices for bold flavor and then put into the hot pot. The hot pot has mushrooms, blood, and taro, .. to increase the natural sweetness and of course with vegetables. Side dishes such as tofu, vermicelli (or noodles) may have to be ordered outside.
Image 3. This hotpot tastes unique as it is salty, peanuty and slightly sour
• Chao Thanh Giao Cooked Duck: Alley 1, No. 1/8 Ly Tu Trong Street, An Phu Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
• Kim Lien Cooked Duck: Alley 1 Ly Tu Trong, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
• Cooked Duck in Co Minh: alley 1/1C Ly Tu Trong, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
• Cam Tu Cooked Duck: Alley 1 Ly Tu Trong, An Phu Ward, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
Reference price: 120,000 - 300,000 VND/pot
4. Can Tho Banh Xeo, sizzled pancakes
If you don't know what to eat in Can Tho, Banh xeo is a great suggestion. Banh xeo is a typical dish of the West. The crust is golden, thin, and crispy. Full filling with minced meat, shrimp, and bean sprouts. When eating with raw vegetables and dipping fish sauce to increase the taste.
Image 4. Can Tho's Banh Xeo is similar to that of the Central Region
• Bay Toi pancakes: 45 Hoang Quoc Viet, An Binh, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho.
• Ngoc Ngan pancakes: 74 Le Loi, Cai Khe, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho, Vietnam.
• Muoi Xiem pancakes: 13/3 Nguyen Chi Thanh, Tra An Ward, Binh Thuy, Can Tho.
• Tan Dinh Can Tho pancakes: Le Loi, Cai Khe, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho roundabouts.
Reference price: 30,000 - 80,000 VND/piece
5. Mắm hot pot
If you ask what specialties Can Tho has, please tell me Phu Sa hot pot - a dish that is so familiar in the land of Can Tho. Cooked from ripe cork fruits, hot pot has a sweet and sour taste and a characteristic aroma of cork fruit. This specialty dish also comes with fresh fish (fish depending on the season) and vegetables typical of the Western land to create an unforgettable taste.
Image 5. Unlike the abovementioned Duck hotpot, this one is fish-focused and spicy
Address: Phu Sa tourist area
Reference price: 150,000 VND/pot
6. Silkworm cake
One of the specialties in Can Tho that "causes nostalgia" for tourists is silkworm cake. The hot silkworm cake is steamed on a charcoal stove mixed with the soft, thin skin (from the pork knife) mixed with rice, minced garlic, and fried garlic, ... bringing an extremely attractive flavor. When eating, diners enjoy the fish sauce, coconut milk, pickles, or gotu kola,...
Image 6. The dish is similar to that of pasta but it is more white because of the rice powder
Address: Tan Trao silkworm cake - 9 Tan Trao, Tan An, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho
Reference price: 20,000 VND / serving
7. Thuan Hung rice paper - Thot Not specialty, Can Tho
Thuan Hung rice paper craft village has produced excellent rice paper plates, worthy of the specialty of Thot Not, Can Tho. Rice paper has a variety of genres: salty cake, flat cake, spring roll cake, and coconut cake, each with its unique flavor.
What makes the impression of this specialty dish is that the Thuan Hung people choose Thot Not rice as the main thing, using the traditional and ingenious secret to produce the number one delicious batch of cakes. This is a great choice to buy as a gift.
Image 7. Dried under the sun, the cooperation of modern machinery production and traditional prepartions
Reference price: 150,000 - 250,000 VND/dozen (depending on type)
8. Grilled snail with green pepper
The "followers" of snails when coming to Can Tho cannot ignore the specialty of grilled snails with green pepper here. Snails are selected, soaked with water to wash rice to release all the slime, and then briefly boiled. Each snail is grilled over charcoal, both grilled and seasoned, especially green pepper, until the water in the snail boils. The aroma of grilled snails with green pepper has attracted many customers. Snails are both crispy, sweet, and soaked with spices, slightly pangolin of green pepper, eaten with laksa leaves.
Image 8. The chewiness of the snail and the spicyness of the pepper
• Hoa Su Restaurant: Cai Khe Island Roundabout, Le Loi, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho
• La Ca Restaurant: 118 Tran Van Kheo, Cai Khe, Ninh Kieu, Can Tho
• My sister's shop: 118/9/48 Tran Van Kheo, Ninh Kieu District, Can Tho.
Reference price: average 70,000 VND/disc